TV star Charlie Webster has revealed how doctors feared she’d be left brain-dead following her near-death Malaria battle.

The former Sky Sports News anchor made the confession in a heartfelt message to her 78,000 Twitter followers , which she shared on Saturday morning – no doubt shocking social media users.

In the note, she expressed gratitude for surviving the ordeal – which she suffered following a 3,000-mile charity cycle ride in Rio – adding: “I fought so hard to live”.

The doctors said the only reason I survived was because I’m very physically fit. It
shows the importance of keeping active. For me it was the difference of being here and not,” she wrote.


“I still have a kidney problem and all my organs are still healing – including my mind! I feel so grateful though: the doctors said it was unlikely that I’d pull through and even if I did I’d be severely brain-damaged. I fought so hard to live.”

Naturally, the post garnered hundreds of ‘likes’ and a number of affirmative comments.


The emotional message comes just weeks after Charlie appeared on This Morning to discuss her horrific ordeal.

Speaking to presenters Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby, she said: “I arrived in Rio and just started feeling really ill, I just started to feel awful inside and I was bleeding from all parts of me.

“The picture everyone has seen is when I thought I had dehydration. I thought I’d be fine. Then three days later I was told to prepare because they thought I was dying.”

“Mum flew over and I was lying there really anxious and my lungs started to collapse and I was on oxygen, and they said [mum] needed to sign a form for them to put me in a coma because my organs were shutting down.”

It was while Charlie was in a coma when she encountered, what she described as “death or God”.

“That day was strange because even though I was in a coma I could hear things. I was paralysed. I tried to bash my hands so they could see I was still alive. I was just desperate to show I was still here so I bashed my hand and they had to put restraints on me.

I was in pain in the coma too, the nurse said to me it’s ok we can pull you through, you’ve got maleria.”

“Each day when I was aware I thought I was somewhere else and this day I felt I was in this black room, I was in a dark room and I was having a conversation to death or God or who knows what it was.

“And they’re telling me it’s your time now you’re finished. It said to me it’s time for you to go and I said ok and accepted it, and within a split second I said no I cant yet. I cant I’ve got too much to do, and I feel that I made a decision to stay alive there and then.